Saturday, April 24, 2010

THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY (1961, SWEDEN)

(The blog writer contemplates what he wants to say about Ingmar Bergman’s Through a Glass Darkly, the first of Bergman’s faith trilogy. His train of thought is interrupted when the invisible entity known as The Presence, descends upon him.)

Blog Writer: (Putting his hand to his chest) My God! You startled me.

The Presence: I’m sorry. Know you hate the pop-in.

Blog Writer: No, no. Actually, I’m glad you’re here. I’ve been thinking that you were right about me promoting myself more. In fact, I’ve been practicing. Listen to this: L & L Dreamspell’s Dreamspell Nightmares 2 featuring many great stories including “Death Takes Another Holiday” by Christopher Cox is now available…You don’t seem to be listening.

The Presence: No, I heard most of what you said.

Blog Writer: I haven’t gotten to the part where I say the ISBN number, it’s…could you try to pay attention?

The Presence: Of course. All you say is well and good… I don’t know. I haven’t been in the mood for promotion lately.

(It’s at this point the blog writer notices bubbles floating from where The Presence’s presence is.)

Blog Writer: Are you blowing bubbles?

The Presence: You should try it sometime. It’s really cool. (The Presence blows a longer string of bubbles this time.)

Blog Writer: What is going on here? Last time you were here and I was writing about The Haunting, you were acting like a salesman on steroids like…like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross and now you’re acting like some stoned hippie like…like…

The Presence: Dick Shawn in The Producers?

Blog Writer: Yes, like Dick Shawn in The Producers.

The Presence: (Laughing) Yeah, he was so funny. Why don’t you watch something like that? This Bergman picture just gives me the blues.

Blog Writer: But wasn’t it interesting? The underlying search for God…God as a spider…the artist that does his art but doesn’t know how to communicate to his family. And I love those remote Swedish settings and the great black & white cinematography.

The Presence: Sometimes all I want is just an old-fashioned pie fight.

Blog Writer: But a pie fight’s not very deep.

The Presence: But it’s real funny. You know, when the person who the pie is intended for ducks and it hits the wrong person. Especially when it hits a society woman with a string of pearls and a fancy hat and she doesn’t know what to say, because she’s got pie all over her face but she’s trying to still act all proper! Isn’t that a scream?

Blog Writer: Can I promote the book now?

The Presence: I’m not stopping you. (The Presence turns from the blog writer and blows another bubble)

Blog Writer: OK, Here I go: She came towards him, panting with anticipation. Cheeks rosy from the blustering wind…Huh, why did I type that? I was going to mention the book again and I… my fingers just seemed to type out the lines from…

The Presence: (Giving the impression of snapping his fingers) The same lines that the novelist played by Gunnar Bjornstrand typed in Through a Glass Darkly!

Blog Writer: Do you think my subconscious is trying to tell me that I can relate to art more that I can relate to real life?

The Presence: I thought I was your subconscious.

Blog Writer: I don’t know what the hell you are! But, I’m a little scared here. Yet I’m oddly exhilarated. Would you watch the second part of the Bergman faith trilogy with me? I’m not up to doing it alone. Please? I have a feeling this might be difficult for me emotionally, yet I’m driven to embrace it.

The Presence: Okay, Sybil. To tell you the truth, I’m more in the mood for some Keystone Kops or Fatty Arbuckle, maybe a Laurel and Hardy two-reeler...But I’ll do it.

Blog Writer: Thanks, pal.

TO BE CONTINUED

4 comments:

  1. If you're not careful, Mr. Presence is going to completely take over your blog! What movies will we be watching then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I've got to say that the whole Ingmar Bergman trilogy is kind of a bummer for me. No offense. You know I like happy, funny, light - these would fit into the "none of the above" category. Not that that would be your fault. But could you review like, one cheerful movie, one bummer? hahaha Good reviews, though.

    Wilma Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. To quote Cosmo Brown:

    You could study Shakespeare
    and be quite elite!
    You can charm the critics
    and have nothin' to eat!
    Just slip on a banana peel
    The world's at your feet!
    Be a clown!
    Be a clown!
    Make 'em laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot more Bergman films in my near future. I'm having a Bergmanpalooza and everyone's invited!

    ReplyDelete