Tuesday, July 9, 2019

1932 BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!

                  

This is my choice (choices) for Best Picture for the year 1932.  My criteria is that I can only use films that are on the 1001 list. To make it a little easier on myself, I am using the rules of the first Academy Award and name a winner for Best Picture (won by Wings for 1927-1928) and Best and Unique and Artistic Picture (won by Sunrise from 1927-1928). 

And the nominees on the entries from every edition of 1001 Movie You Must See Before You Die are...
Vampyr
Love Me Tonight
Boudo Saved from Drowning
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
Trouble in Paradise
Scarface: The Shame of the Nation
Shanghai Express
Freaks
Me and My Gal
                    

And the winner for the Best Picture of 1932 is…Freaks


Freaks

Tough competition from the two Warner gangster films, but I'm going with a personal favorite here about life in a freak show with real life pinheads, caterpillar men, bearded ladies, Siamese twins and midgets. One of the earliest cult movies, Tod Browning's film is forever in my heart. And if you insult one of my choices, you insult all them all!


Freaks

And the Award for Unique and Artistic Picture of 1932 is...Vampyr

Vampyr

Unique and artistic for sure, Carl Dreyer's film is full of atmosphere, haunting shots, minimal dialogue and unforgettable images. It is like going through a haunting dream where everything is subtle, yet terrifying and should stay with you for a long time after viewing.

Vampyr

No comments:

Post a Comment