Wednesday, April 25, 2018

SONG AT MIDNIGHT (1936, CHINA)

Song at Midnight

Maxu Wiebang's adaptation of Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera has a lot of atmosphere going for it...Wait, I thought I heard something...As I was saying, Song of Midnight has all the elements of the Phantom story-a disfigured protagonist who lurks the halls of the opera house waiting to make a star of his great love and...there it is again!




I better move on to another topic...The most famous version of The Phantom legend...or at least the one I have the monster model of (above) is the 1925 Lon Chaney version...Wait! That noise again!


I hear something else...something lurking... Oh, I know what that is! I just saw the pre-Broadway production of the musical Phantom of the Opera in New Orleans and anything I see close to that is going to make me think of the song Music of the Night (Clearing throat)...Nightime sharpens, heightens each sensation...darkness stirs and wakes the imagination...Silently the senses abandon their defenses...Helpless to resist the notes I write...For I compose the music of the NIGHT!!!!

Damn you, Andrew Lloyd Webber!


No comments:

Post a Comment