Wednesday, June 13, 2012

SCARFACE (1932)

Chicago/Prohibition week (3 of 7)


Day 3 Scarface: The Shame of the Nation (1932)

I had never seen this film before and of the three from this era(Little Caesar, The Public Enemy) this is the most powerful and brutal of all of them. And Paul Muni is most menacing in his Al Caponesce role.

Random Thoughts: I never much cared for Brian De Palma’s remake of Scarface, but since there are so many elements of the original that were brought into the remake (especially the relationship between Scarface and his sister) that I probably should give the De Palma film another go.

Also of note, if you have the DVD, make sure to see the alternate ending that was tacked on to satisfy the censors (and fortunately discarded by producer Howard Hughes).

“We’ll lick them all. The South Side.The North Side. We’ll lick the whole world!”

2 comments:

  1. Paul Muni is great, which reminds me that I must watch »The life of Emile Zola« soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying
    your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for newbie blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it.
    Also see my web page: scarface

    ReplyDelete