Monday, February 22, 2016

CRASH (2005)

FILMS FROM THE 21st CENTURY
(Post 38 of 50)

Some quick takes on the most relatively recent listings from the
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list


In terms of Oscar history, Crash is noted as the film that the academy quickly shoveled the Best Picture award to so they wouldn't have to give it to the gay-themed Western, Brokeback Mountain. That's kind of an unfortunate way to think of it, because though I don't think it should have taken home Best Picture, I think Crash is a film that is very well put together and has a real perspective about race relations, human interactions and how we deal with others in general-even if we have to occasionally crash into them just to get their attention.
 
My choice might have been The Constant Gardner for Best Picture for that year, a film which wasn't even nominated!

1 comment:

  1. Of the nominees, my choice would have been Good Night and Good Luck (although I haven't seen Munich yet). But I agree--this is a better film than its reputation. No, it shouldn't have won, but that doesn't make Crash a bad movie.

    ReplyDelete