Friday, February 19, 2016

GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002)

FILMS FROM THE 21st CENTURY
(Post 37 of 50)

Some quick takes on the most relatively recent listings from the
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list


Most of what I knew about the New York draft riots that took place during the Civil War, I learned about through Ken Burns' mini-series on the topic. So what could Martin Scorsese add to that mix in a somewhat fictionalized account of that time? A lot as it turns out, as Gangs of New York is a very impressive and brutal American historical testament. You've got to give it to this film for the recreation of the time (though it's a long film, as Scorsese's films tend to be) and also from the casting of Daniel-Day Lewis, who as the horrifying Bill the Butcher is as good here as he is in any of his Oscar-winning roles. 

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a great film. Evidently, I think it's a better film than almost everyone I know, but I think it gets everything right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it as well, despite the Jenny love interest.

      Delete