Saturday, January 26, 2013

DO THE RIGHT THING (1989)


80’s movies I forgot to watch the first time around month Post #9

Do the Right Thing.


Why haven't I seen this before: Honestly, I'm not sure. I've seen other Spike Lee movies, just not his most famous one.

After viewing: I remember now why I haven't seen this before. There is a hell of a lot of unpleasantness depicted here! Of course, it does have some light moments early in the film.

Overall, it does ring true, and has a lot to say about race relations and living in poverty. And It's definitely a film that should be seen once...though I'm not sure I'd want to see it twice.

Personal note: Ossie Davis (pictured below) was the commencement speaker at my graduate school graduation ceremony from Clark Atlanta University. He was a very inspirational speaker, and is even better as The Mayor in Do the Right Thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment