Friday, March 1, 2019

THE PIANIST (2002), BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE (2002)

2002

The Pianist surveys the devastation

The Pianist is the story of Szpilman, a Jewish pianist in Poland and his struggle to survive during the Holocaust. It was a hard film for me to ever get motivated to watch (This is a first viewing) but a hard film to take my eyes away from once I did. Every struggle, including watching his family go to a concentration camp, his having to perform slave labor and his final connection with a German officer who helps him are detailed and emotional to sit through. Szpilman's playing of Chopin for the German officer is probably my favorite moment from the film. Adrien Brody won an Oscar for his portrayal, as did director Roman Polanski.

Michael Moore takes some shooting survivors to Kmart
in Bowling for Columbine

I like Michael Moore, He's a passionate guy and has plenty of fans and seemingly just as many detractors. Bowling for Columbine was his documentary about gun control after the Columbine shooting in 1999. Moore tries to figure out through his interviews why the United States seems so obsessed with guns and why we feel the need to use them on each other so often. Moore's taking some of the shooting survivors to Kmart to have them seek a refund for the bullets lodged in them was brutal but effective. His interview with a clearly sickly Charlton Heston doesn't come off so well.
Despite the subject matter, the film does display Moore's trademark sense of humor and his editing is always creative. His interview with Marilyn Manson is also a rather surprising highlight of the film.

Here are some other movies released in 2002 that I have seen that didn't make the 1001 movie cut.

About Schmidt
I like this film with Jack Nicholson as a widowed everyman trying to find himself. And who wouldn't want to get into a hot tub with Kathy Bates?
About Schmidt

Bloodwork
I thought this Clint Eastwood crime procedural was a bit by the numbers from what I remember.
Bloodwork


Two Weeks Notice
Is it still okay to call a movie a chick flick? And why does everything Hugh Grant says seem so damn witty?
Two Weeks Notice

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
Is it really still okay to call a movie a chick flick? It did have funny moments from what I remember and it did have Ashley Judd.
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

High Crimes
Speaking of Ashley Judd...It's official that I admit to getting all these Morgan Freeman/Ashley Judd movies mixed up now! And Freeman isn't even Alex Cross this time!
 High Crimes

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
The second of the Harry Potter films and the last one my wife says has the "real" Dumbledore (Richard Harris). Can I get at least a little love for Michael Gambon?
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Infernal Affairs
Comparing Infernal Affairs to The Departed (Which was a remake of Infernal Affairs)
I watched these films back to back and it is interesting to notice the differences. The Departed is about an hour longer than Infernal Affairs, so it does have more time to flesh out the characters. Infernal Affairs doesn't go into nearly the details of the origin story and practically avoids the romantic sub-plot we see in The Departed all together. But it is interesting to compare the scenes taken from the original and placed in the Scorsese film: two hoods talking about how to spot a cop, a sting that goes wrong because of the mole warning the crime boss ahead of time, confessions to the lady psychiatrist and both the rooftop scenes. There also is no real equivalent of Mark Wahlberg's Dingham character in Infernal Affairs.
Infernal Affairs

Lilo and Stitch
Disney film that did have a most original not-so-cuddly alien creature in Stitch.
Lilo and Stitch
Minority Report
Top-notch futuristic thriller from Steven Spielberg. 
Minority Report
Panic Room
We all need a panic room sometimes.
Panic Room
Pokémon 4Ever
I love my son. The fact that I took him to see all these Pokemon movies proves this.
Pokémon 4Ever

Punch-Druck Love
It is funny that whenever Adam Sandler tries to make a good movie, it doesn't do too well with audiences.
Punch-Druck Love

Red Dragon
Manhunter or Red Dragon? I still think I'd go with Manhunter.
Red Dragon 2002


Manhunter 1986
The Ring
The Ring or Ringu? I still think I'd go with Ringu.
The Ring 2002


Ringu 1998

The Time Machine
The Time Machine (1960) or The Time Machine (2002). I still think I'd go with 1960.
The Time Machine 2002

The Time Machine 1960

Road to Perdition
Excellent prohibition crime drama.
https://1001afilmodyssey.blogspot.com/2012/06/road-to-perdition-2002.html


Road to Perdition

Scooby Doo
Did we really need a live action Scooby Doo? I guess if you're just dying to know what would Freddie Prinze Jr.'s interpretation of Fred be like, I guess.
Scooby Doo
Secretary
Kinky and weird...I'm still not sure if this is compelling or just an exploitative mess.
Secretary
Signs
I like M. Night Shyamalan films for the most part, though people seem to want to rag on them.
Signs

Spider-Man
I also like the Spidey movies with Tobey Maguire. I haven't seen any Spider-Man movie since 
Spider-Man 3
Spider-Man

Springtime in a Small Town
A remake of the Chinese classic
https://1001afilmodyssey.blogspot.com/2018/04/spring-in-small-town-1948-china.html
Springtime in a Small Town

Spring in a Small Town

Star Trek: Nemesis
I am a fan of The Next Generation, but I think we all needed a break from the franchise after this one.
Star Trek: Nemesis

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
I am a fan of Star Wars, but I think we all needed a break from the franchise after this one...but I guess they had one more to go before closing shop for awhile. I like the recent Star Wars movies much more than these prequels, if that isn't stating the obvious too much.
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Tuck Everlasting
Popular book. Took the kids to see this. I'll get back to you on what the plot was again.
Tuck Everlasting


The Wild Thornberrys Movie
Yes, they really made a movie about the Nicktoons series. Apparently, it did well., so I shouldn't scoff.
The Wild Thornberrys Movie


And Robin Williams 2.002
Robin Williams and Al Pacino
in Insomnia

Insomnia
Insomnia was a film first made in Norway in 1997. This Christopher Nolan remake\features Al Pacino (Dormer) as an LA cop in Alaska seeking a killer. He encounters several problems in Alaska: he becomes aware of an investigation against him, he can't get any sleep and he accidentally shoots his partner. It's a really great role for Pacino, but what about his target? Robin Williams (Walter Finch) plays the killer here. A writer-a complex, emotional guy who always seems to be a step ahead of Dormer, even after he is discovered. You see, Walter knows about Dormer shooting his partner.

I always liked when Robin tried to do different things and get out of his manic comedic pigeon hole. He is effective here and a good contrast to Pacino. But he had one other role from this year that got him out of this pigeon hole even further.


Robin Williams in One Hour Photo

I think Robin Williams is good in Insomnia, but I could still never quite get out of my head that that guy on the screen is Robin Williams. In Robin's other 2002 film, One Hour Photo, I only see him as Sy, the troubled photo technician.

In this film, Robin not only doesn't look anything like we're used to him looking, but his manner is understated and totally different from anything else I can remember seeing him in. Sy is overly anal about everything going perfect at his job at the photo lab. He also becomes attached to a family that brings their photos for developing on a regular basis. Why Sy is the way he is and why he becomes obsessed with this family is something we find out as we go along. I think it's a great performance which is at times heartbreaking.
If you are a Williams fan (I am) and may have skipped seeing One Hour Photo before (I did). I recommend it highly.

The recent biography of Robin Williams by Dave Itzkoff is also recommended for a take on this uniquely talented but troubled soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment