Tuesday, July 12, 2011

TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948)


I really enjoyed posting two straight weeks of blogs on Hollywood films from the 1930's, and so for the 1940's I'm going to up the ante and try for three weeks worth. Looking at titles I have left from the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book, this shouldn't be a problem. As before, I’ll list my expectations for each film going in and state whether these expectations are reached or not. And I’ll once again give each film my Elisha Cook Jr. supporting player award because there was such a bounty of great supporting performers from this period and I just like doing it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

Expectations: It’s been so long since I’ve seen this. I remember liking it and who among us hasn’t at one time another repeated the line, “I don’t have to show you any stinking badges.”

After Viewing: I try not to state on this blog that a movie is great. I may say how much I liked a movie. You can’t argue with that. But who am I to determine the aesthetic merits of a particular work of art or film? That being said, I’m willing to go out on a limb on this one.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre is a great film.

I can't even explain why it's great, so I'm not going to try.

However, I can safely say that Humphrey Bogart and Walter and John Huston were great.

And I still don’t know who the elusive author B Traven was.

And I still don’t have to show you no stinkin’ badges.

Just watch if you haven't seen it.

And the Elisha Cook Jr. supporting player award goes to…Alfonso Bedoya. I realize I should give this to Walter Huston. He deservedly won an Academy Award for the part of the old prospector. The memorable scene where he dances a jig may only be topped by his hysterical laugh near the end of the film. Yes, Walter Huston was great. But let’s give some love to Alfonso Bedoya as the Mexican bandit Gold Hat and remember to repeat Senor Bedoya’s line at every opportunity, “Badges? We ain’t got no badges. We don’t need no badges. I DON’T HAVE TO SHOW YOU NO STINKIN' BADGES!" You’ll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. This is undoubtedly one of the greatest films of all time. Whenever I hear about a film that follows a character's decent into evil, I cannot help but compare it to this one and so far everything has come up short. You're absolutely right to classify this as a great film rather than just one that you liked. There is just something objectively special about this one that really sets it apart.

    ReplyDelete