Saturday, September 12, 2009

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, (1974)


Let’s see: I saw Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein at the theater when it came out, on the West Georgia College campus a couple of years later, when it came on TV, when it came out on VHS, when it came out on DVD and probably a couple of times in between and today. Obviously, it’s a favorite.
Since I’ve seen this movie so often, I’ll just try to come up with twenty memorable moments…in no particular order:


1)”Puttin’ on the Ritz!”
2) Gene Wilder’s hysterical rant after the creature doesn’t come to life
(Quiet dignity and grace?)
3) “Abby Normal, I’m pretty sure that was the name”
4) ”Sed-a-give!”
5) Peter Boyle’s reaction after the blind Gene Hackman destroys his cup during a toast.
6) Kenneth Mars’s artificial arms
7) Wilder stabbing the scalpel into his thigh (My grandfather’s work was doo-doo!)
8) “He vus mah boyfriend!”
9) “Sweeeeeet mystery of Life at Last I’ve found you.”
10) Madeline Kahn’s Bride of Frankenstein hairdo.
11) “You take the blonde, I’ll take the one in the toiban.”
12) “Frau Blucher!” (Horse whinnies)
13) “It could be worse, it could be raining.”
14) Girl flying through the air off the seesaw into her safe bed.
15) “Put the candle back”
16) “Pardon me boy, is this the Transylvannia station?” “Track 29, Care for a shine?”
17) Wilder using the corpses’ hand to avoid suspicion from the officer
18) “My name isn’t Fronkensteen, It’s FRANKENSTEIN!” (A surprisingly dramatic moment)
19) Igor’s shifting hump
20) And pretty much any other Marty Feldman line.

No comments:

Post a Comment