Saturday, March 26, 2011

THE BUTCHER BOY (1997, IRELAND)


My own personal March movie madness. My goal is make 31 posts in 31 days about 31 movies. They all must be non-U. S. films that I haven’t seen before. Why do I make this stipulation? Don’t know exactly, by we all have to have goals, don’t we?

Day twenty-six, from the Republic of Ireland
The Butcher Boy (1997)

A picture show of obvious quality and stinging dark humor, but when you have a main character so unlikable, who you just want to see knocked on his arse, is that really a good thing? But isn't a break from the conventional what I'm supposedly looking for? Isn't this why I'm trying to watch all these fekkin' movies? Am I not trying to find something different that can move me in a meaningful way? Or is this whole thing just plain bollocks?

I need a drink. No, I can't do it. I need a smoke. No, don't smoke. I feel like such a bogger. Wait, therapy? Yeah, maybe therapy. That would make for some good craic, eh? But it might take me more than one session to get over the image of Sinead O'Connor as the Virgin Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment