Wednesday, March 16, 2011

THE SWEET HEREAFTER (1997, CANADA)



My own personal March movie madness. My goal is make 31 posts in 31 days about 31 movies. They all must be non-U. S. films that I haven’t seen before. Why do I make this stipulation? Don’t know exactly, by we all have to have goals, don’t we?

Day sixteen, from the Parliamentary democracy of Canada
The Sweet Hereafter (1997)

Any movie that ties The Pied Piper of Hamelin so neatly into its narrative has got to have something going for it. And any movie that inspires me to break out my book The World’s Greatest Fairy Tales (the best book of all time, according to my nostalgic, sentimental self) and read the Pied Pipe of Hamelin has got to have something going for it.

“Our children! Where are our poor children?” was the cry that was soon heard in all the streets. (The Pied Piper of Hamelin from The World’s Greatest Fairy Tales, The Reader’s Digest Association, 1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment