Thursday, March 22, 2012

THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA (1958)


(1950’s movie #8)

The Old Man and the Sea (1958)

Expectations: Many of us had to read this book in school. I understand all it’s symbolism of man vs. nature, man vs. himself, yadda yadda yadda, et al. I get it, but it’s still not my favorite. I hadn’t seen the movie in a long time. Or have I just seen part of it anyway? On second thought, I'm pretty sure I haven't ever seen it all the way through.

After viewing: The film and book are basically a one-man show. Since much of the film had to be done with voice over narration while the fisherman was out to sea, this film really needed an actor with stature to pull it off. Luckily, they picked Spencer Tracy, possibly the greatest American screen actor of the 20th century. He actually succeeds for the most part, though it is slow going at times.

And the Elisha Cook Jr. supporting player award goes to…The fish. I guess it’s that whole man vs. nature thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment